Winter Vacation Classes (Essay Writing)

January 15, 2012


 While the regular semester has ended, classes are still offered for students to take voluntarily (or perhaps by pressure from parents). My coteacher asked if I could teach a class that focuses on speaking and writing, so that's what I'll be doing for 3 weeks. I feel like these classes are less entertainy than my regular semester classes but these students seem to have a genuine interest in learning English (which can't always be said for all 500+ students I have during the regular semester).

So instead of entertaining 500+ students once per week, I teach one class of 18 students every day. I can finally name all of the students in my class, I can finally get to know my students, and we can finally have a class where we learn something useful. As a bonus, I roll into work at 1:30 (no deskwarming!), teach from 2:00 until 4:00 (two 1-hour classes were fused into one 2-hour class), then head home.

At the beginning of each week, I provide my students with a new discussion topic which serves as the basis for an essay and debate. Through the week, the students go through the writing process and we end the week off with a 'fun', relaxed debate day. I've really enjoyed these classes so far and it seems to be a great chance for students to practice speaking and writing in English.

Matt will be arriving in 13 days. I'll be heading to Cambodia in 32.
Zero complaints about these 30+ days of paid vacation :)

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© rindsayloss. Design by FCD.